Dublin, Ireland

Bull and Castle Sunday Roast, Dublin

29 September 2023

Vegetarians look away now - though I realise from the above cover photo that veggies may not have even opened this post, which is maybe for the best.

For the carnivores amongst you, it's my great pleasure to introduce you to the below plate of food - the Sunday Roast offered at The Bull and Castle, in Christchurch, Dublin. 

I talked back in December about how much I was enjoy Emer and Esther's Sunday Roast podcast and the Bull and Castle was one of the most central ones covered in Season 1, so when Lynsey and I visited Dublin in February this year I made a point of stopping by. We were both blown away (see our reactions here) and so when I organised my July trip I knew I had to go back to see if it was a one off, or if it was just as good every time.

I am very happy to confirm that the latter is the case. 

My expectations the second time were higher, but I was still very satisfied with the plate of food. I preferred the cut of meat I got the first time, as there was less fat but I suppose that's simply down to luck with the Sunday Roast which bit you get. However, everything else was great - and the meat preference is simply my personal preference, I know other people would have preferred the second cut and both were cooked perfectly. 

The vegetables which are usually, let's be honest, the most boring part of the meal, felt elevated both times. The broccoli was delicious - I'm going to say it had a hint of something garlicky about it, but not in an overwhelming way. The carrots and shallots were also excellent. I'm going to say something shocking - so do prepare - but I think I actually enjoyed the vegetables on my plate more than my Yorkshire pudding. Being a fiend for a Yorkshire, this is not a statement I make lightly. And it's also not because the Yorkshire was lacking - it was not, by any means. But the vegetables really were a culinary masterclass on taking something that is usually forgettable and making it memorable, without over complicating anything. I think about that broccoli often - how many times have you had broccoli that makes you say that?

Potatoes - the most important part of the meal for me - were also phenomenal. Again for personal preference I'm a roast girl over a mash and if it was an option I'd swap the mash for an extra roast, but the mash was executed perfectly. No lumps, but also nowhere near that slightly runny texture overly mashed mash can sometimes have. It felt sufficiently like food, not overly creamy and in a state that could be had through a straw - which makes me gag a little, to be honest - but whilst very much being a creamy mash. The roast potatoes were perfect - cooked through, but golden and crisp without being burnt on the outside. 
The restaurant itself is sultry and dark - as you can possibly gather from the dark wood table, the ceiling panels and the exposed brick walls in the above photos. On my first visit Lynsey and I were at the back of the restaurant, fully ensconced in it, but on this second visit I was seated by the window - offering a view onto Christchurch cathedral and the street traffic outside. Even by the window it still felt cosy and warm. 

Although I've only been with friends and family, I've thought both times that it would be a nice place for a romantic meal - either for the Sunday Roast or to come for their main menu. It's a relaxed feeling place, not stuffy or one to get super dressed up for (also in terms of location you're not getting parked outside so depending on how you're planning to get there it's maybe not where you're going to toddle too in your highest heels!) but the dark tones and wood do lend themselves to being a nice backdrop for an intimate meal. 

Price wise, the Sunday Roast is excellent value at 19.50 for the plate - and it is a plate that leaves me full.

Drinks wise, I firstly had a Jack Looks Hot with my roast - which is a warm cocktail of slane whiskey, Jack Daniels apple, pear brandy, apple & rhubarb chutney, cinnamon and orange peel. It had appealed to me the first time I went, but as I was heading to VCC afterwards for cocktails, I had stuck to a soft drink. It was lovely - having it in July was probably somewhat the wrong season for what felt like a drink that was designed for holding with hands half covered by an oversized jumper and being sipped by a roaring fire with twinkling fairy lights and Nat King Cole playing in the background - but I had to go for it whilst I was there and I'm so glad I did. It's 100% something I'll order again in the future. 
€14.50
Slane whiskey, Jack Daniels apple, pear brandy, apple & rhubarb chutney,
cinnamon, orange peel
It almost goes without saying, but I loved the presentation in the tea cups. My vintage loving soul was very happy - and particularly happy with the fact that the tea cup pattern seemed to match the feel of the drink. My Jack Looks Hot, it came in a burgundy patterned cup and saucer, matching the pleasingly amber toned drink - but my next drink, the Bananaruma, which I had in lieu of dessert, arrived in a gold and turquoise patterned cup which complimented the lighter colour and frothier texture. 

The Bananaruma was made with Bacardi spiced rum, banana liqueur, cacao white liqueur, milk and cream - basically it's a slightly spiced banana milkshake and again was right up my street. Being cold, this one felt more like an appropriate summer drink in comparison to the Jack Looks Hot and again is something I would 100% re-order.
Although I didn't have a food dessert, my dining partner did and they reported that they thoroughly enjoyed this - this being the Strawberries and Cream - panna cotta and North Co. Dublin strawberries.

I would have given this a solid 10/10 on my first visit and a 9 on my second, only because I preferred the cut of meat the first time - so a law of averages leaves me saying this would be a 9.5/10 overall - and it's a meal I'd highly recommend if you're visiting my favourite city on a Sunday.

The Bull and Castle is located at 5-7 Lord Edward St, Dublin 2, D02 P634, Ireland and you can view menus and book online here

Join the conversation!

Latest Instagrams

© Rose Keats - A Scottish/UK Fashion & Lifestyle Blog By Roisin E. Keats. Design by FCD.