Glasgow, UK

Coveting Candles

29 November 2021

 


I'm currently redecorating my bedroom. That shouldn't actually be a true statement, because my initial plans had this all complete by October with a slight hold up that my new wardrobe doors couldn't be installed until December.

Honestly, back in September when I booked all this in, I was fuming about these doors - now I'm utterly relieved, because the person I booked for the first job that needed done - some plug sockets being moved - didn't turn up. As you can imagine, there's no point wallpapering and painting until the plug sockets are moved so the entire thing has turned into a bit of circus of rebooking and rearranging. I've been living out of boxes for months now and it's all getting a bit much. (Also if this new variant means I can't get anyone in to finish this, I'm going to have a full breakdown, just so we're all on the same page with this.)

Anyway - deep breaths - since my real life space is heavily disrupted I'm self soothing by envisioning what it'll be like when it's done and, as someone who very much enjoys perfume, the scent of that is a huge part of this fantasy, so I thought I'd get it all down on paper (electronically speaking) and share it. 


Mary by Cire Trudon

Be still my beating, dark academia, literature loving heart. I mean, it's a candle named for and inspired by Mary Shelley! 

Trudon's own description of this says, 'The fantastical world by Mary Shelley's work : a combination of spices as the recipe for a strange potion, tender and exotic wood notes expressing desire for movement, a soft amber and tobacco accord reminiscent of certain scents of her time.'

Amber, tobacco and spice are all huge buzzwords for me when it comes to fragrances I like and although I haven't been able to smell this in person I am sure I'll like it.

It features head notes of cardamom, juniper and pepper, a heart of cedarwood, papyrus, patchouli and gaiac wood and a base of labdanum and moss. I swear I just shivered from the excitement of imagining how good this smells. Now, if they could just produce an Emily Bronte next I'd be over here practically hyperventilating with anticipation!


Gabriel by Cire Trudon

Sticking with Trudon, last year I got Ernesto in their 2020 Christmas packaging, but in terms of Christmas packaging this is this year's addition to my Christmas list.

I wrote previously about Replica's By The Fireplace, one of my favourite fragrances and if you're a fan of that perfume, I imagine you would like this candle. It has that same sweetness, it has a chestnut top note sitting alongside birch wood, a heart of cashmere wood and moss and a base of patchouli, cedarwood and musk. 

The brand's own description reads 'With notes of leather, cashmere wood, and candied chestnuts, the fragrance weaves happy, cozy memories,' and that's really spot on. This is a sweet but smoky, comforting and warm scent that's very much a cashmere blanket by the fire with a well worn paperback in hand. 


Maduro Leaf by Penhaligons

I'm a long standing fan of this candle and was devastated when it seemed to disappear last year and I was told by the staff in store that it was officially discontinued. When Penhaligon's relaunched their new candles this year though, Mauduro Lead also returned in all it's original splendor - though at a rather inflated price point! The original 750g, which is still online though out of stock, was £94, whereas the new largest offering is 650g for £130. I suppose Brexit and Covid have hit everyone and price points are going to go up, but this one did hit me a little in the gut as although the original one was expensive, it was actually very good value for money in the world of luxury candles. I was pleased to see in smaller sizes launch though, with a standard size of 200g launching with an RRP of £60.00 and a travel size 65g launching at £28.

Stomach churning price increase aside - £36 more for 100g less in the comparable sizes - the scent of this candle is one of my favourites. It is inspired by a gentlemen's club - and God I'd go undercover in a hat and wig to enter one if it smelled like this. Smoke, leather and wood, incredibly elegant but still with a sweetness, this is one of my ultimate comfort smells.


Feu De Bois from Diptyque 

Another comfort smell for me is Diptyque's Feu De Bois. I feel this one often gets overlooked online, perhaps because the coloured wax of it isn't as Insta-friendly as the white wax, but it's a real pity. 

This candle is perfect for the colder winter months. It smells quite literally like an open fire, it is warm and cosy and comforting, smoky and woody and I just can't get enough - even if it isn't the online fav.


Bonfire by The Vampire's Wife

I am a self-confessed fangirl of The Vampire's Wife. I mean, it probably helps that I enjoy a good Nick Cave song too, but regardless, Susie Cave's dresses are hyped as hell for a reason - but they are very much at the upper end of the pricing scale, unfortunately. I've managed to bring three of them into my wardrobe and am currently eyeing a fourth, but until I've managed to justify it, this new launch is a nice way to indulge in one of my favourite brands at a slightly lower price point (in the relative sense of this vs the Falconetti!) 

Despite my pre-existing love of the brand, this candle launch also actually seems rather up my street in terms of scent too. Described by the brand as 'woody and smoky', the Bonfire Candle by The Vampire's Wife features top notes of smoky leather and cedar, with middle notes of exotic herbs.

I feel it would very much sit nicely in my re-decorated space, though I am desperately trying to avoid catching the eye of the teddy bears, which would also, I feel, sit very nicely in my re-decorated space, but we're going to try and suppress that branch of feeling!

Join the conversation!

Latest Instagrams

© Rose Keats - A Scottish/UK Fashion & Lifestyle Blog By Roisin E. Keats. Design by FCD.